Thursday, August 10, 2006

Hockey time: 42 days to training camp

Counting? Who's counting? Am I the only person who's counting the days until hockey returns?

Blame the Globe. They're enabling by giving me the number in Sunday's papers. And I did have to go check: I didn't have the number of days memorized or anything. (When I realized the number, I knew I had to post about this today. I'm a big Douglas Adams fan, and 42 is the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe, and everything, after all.)

I know, if you don't "get" this, if you're not with me on the hockey thing, no amount of rationalization is going to make you understand. I think the Yarn Harlot will have knitters taking over the world before hockey fans even start to get organized. Come on, guys, isn't anyone else waiting anxiously for the Bruins to re-sign Patrice Bergeron? (I love that kid. I'm about to break into hives because he hasn't been signed for next year yet. He's the future of the Bruins, if they would only get off their lazy pens and Sign Him. What is more important?)

Actually, I will have a moral dilemma of the first order if he goes elsewhere. I can't root against him. I can't. Since he first showed up at camp in 2003, I've been impressed with him, and his moves, and his skills. I love to watch him play. On the other hand, I've been a Bruins fan for more than 30 years. I have a first-grade paper where my big-print letters spell out "I love hockey. I love Boston Bruins." and go on to list every player I could think of. It would be worse than when Bourque went to Colorado. Don't do this to me! He's only just turned 21, he could be leading this team for years: sign him!

Don't worry, I'm okay. The hives are only metaphorical. Just keep breathing...

1 comment:

  1. ccr - love the blog and agree, it will force you to loosen up and - gulp - lower your standards - but that will be very fun, i think. it also looks great - i love the type and pictures. will be checking in on this.
    am feeling guilty for being one of your non-knitting, non-hockey obsessed friends. sorry! jdj

    ReplyDelete