Wednesday, January 25, 2023

Hawaii, Day Minus One

Well, I’m in California! Not a simple trip, exactly, but nothing major went wrong, so it goes in the win column.

Not that I have no gripes; have you been here long? Of course I do. Any day where the alarm goes off at 4 and the car service picks me up at 5:30 isn’t going to be my favorite way to go. But there are others.

For instance. A few years back, JetBlue switched from Coke products to Pepsi, which, as I am firmly on Team Coke, bothered me. But hey, I can buy a Coke before I board and take it on with me. Well, not today! All the places near my gate only sold Pepsi products. Sheesh.

There was also this very odd display. I can only guess they ran out of the “unique” treats of the “region,” whatever those were, since as far as I know, Snickers and M&Ms are neither in Florida.

In any event, I got on the plane and started knitting (of course).
But I was also looking at this screen on the entertainment system. 
My two row mates and I did not have this functionality the whole 6+ hour flight. Bummer, man! I would have watched a movie or tv, or just the map showing where we were, I like that. Oh, well.

Does anyone want to tell Silver that their planes are painted pink?
Up and over the water, and away.

Since I didn’t want a Pepsi, I asked for a lemon lime soda, which is what their menu says they have. He gave me this … thing … instead.
It does not taste like lime. It tastes like bitterness and missed opportunities. And maybe limestone. That would be a natural flavor, right? (Later I had a Pepsi anyway. How the mighty are fallen.) (Tomorrow I fly United, and reportedly, they have Coke!)

So I knitted, and listened to an audiobook, and sometimes I read, as my hands were getting tired after a lot of knitting. It was fine. Some turbulence, nothing major, and we landed early.

My friend Alison, who lives in the Bay Area, had volunteered to meet me at the airport and have lunch, which was fantastic! 

Never enough meetings with good friends, and while we’ve been blog-friends for years, this was our first face-to-face meeting! So cool.

Also, she gave me this gorgeous cowl! Soft and beautiful.

And how great is this name? Pick Up Stix!
This was my fortune. I’m not sure about this one, honestly.
Cool sculpture in the airport. Always look up!
On the shuttle to the hotel.
This seems very ambitious. I just want to wash my hands.
The room has this fun couch. It’s not as comfortable as it looks, and it’s crying out for some cushions, but nice to have the space anyway.
In the latest of what’s sure to be many “oh, right, I changed time zones” moments, I discovered a hockey game on tv at 4 o’clock. Weird!
Just trying to stay awake until a reasonable hour to eat dinner and go to bed (I am so tired and sore, what with all the sitting still and the hauling luggage around.) Up early again tomorrow, but not as early, so yay!


1 comment:

  1. And you had to haul the luggage extra much for me, and I will forever be grateful you were willing to set aside the time for meeting up. We had so much fun! So good to finally be in person. Have a fabulous trip!

    ReplyDelete