Friday, June 18, 2021

What I haven't Been Complaining About Here

I haven't been in my usual "fairly regularly blogging" pattern lately, so I thought I would pop in and list all the things that have been bugging me this week, which could have the dual purpose of making me feel a little better (hopefully!), and making you a bit relieved that I haven't been here much (hopefully only a little bit).

  •  The weather this week has been awful, tons of rain and thunderstorms that send the cat into hiding all day or half the night. We do need the rain, but getting this much all at once isn't actually that helpful (the lake in the front lawn isn't helping the water table), and this is more like August/September weather. In mid-June, no thank you. It has also been overcast almost every minute of every day all week. I want to see the sun.
  • Maggie has thrown up a few times this week, which is not super-unusual for her, but is worrisome nonetheless, plus unpleasant to clean up after (especially at, say 3:45 AM in my bedroom, just saying).
  • Work has been... especially work-y. One of the other editors was off for a few days this week, which let me say I fully support, but it's always a bit much when there are two of us instead of three of us handling what comes in. And my boss has had a few of his, hmm, less organized moments this week, like when he said on Monday morning that I should pick up a report that had come in that morning if I hadn't already, though I was in fact working on a report from last week that I wasn't even halfway through. And then yesterday, when I started something short, he said that maybe something else wouldn't have come in by the time I finished that today and I would get a breather, but you know who forgot to have any of us take a report that came in last Friday? Yeah. I wonder when he would have noticed that if I hadn't asked about it? Probably when the sender followed up on it (again).
  • I don't have a complaint about knitting, except that I have to hold back from knitting as much as I want to: I overdid it on Memorial Day and had very sore thumbs the next day, and have been resting more and knitting less ever since. Aging sucks in some ways.
  • And I actually don't have any complaints about reading, I've been reading a lot lately (especially since the Bruins' season ended, sigh), and it's been good.

So that ends on a slightly more positive note! Feel free to vent here if you need to. No problem too small to whine about.

1 comment:

  1. I hope Maggie feels better.

    I have to get the termite stuff dealt with and it involved getting my husband to give up on the double sheds built at the side of the house: there's a wall towards us that looks fine, but on the other side going to the gate it's termite heaven and the wooden shelves the former owner built into it are slowly caving in. He attached it directly to the house, which you should never do with wood; there should always be a barrier, metal flashing or something to disrupt the little buggers' path.

    So: one contractor wanted so much to take that out that the termite guy guffawed, the next guy asked for pictures and then ditched me, I have to have the dry rot damage fixed and hopefully the roof replaced before they can tent the house, but the guy who just spot-kills them could do that job faster (and anything he misses would keep on chewing.) The guy I hire to fix the woodwork might as well finish fixing our kitchen that has long needed it because I don't think we can sell the house the way the last contractor left it, with cabinets directly over the stove, and and and. Oh and then you have to replace the plate glass window cracked by a small earthquake and then repaint the whole house.

    The philodendron in the outside alcove that helped me fall in love with the house in the first place will die in the tenting. That's what it gets for shoving a root into the side of the house.

    I'm overwhelmed and have been slow to start. I've at least finally made some of the calls and appointments, or tried to. The guy I want working on the kitchen and wood replacement is the guy who fixed the $40k worth of more major mistakes the first contractor left behind, and I like him and want him back--but he's also the one who quoted too much for taking down those sheds. Probably because he would do it absolutely by the book (but also because he didn't want that particular job.)

    And we need to replace the flooring and interior paint, too. It's been 27 years. I figure we could easily blow $100k on this--which is why nothing would be done at all if it weren't for the stupid termites. But if we don't take care of them this season we'll be in a whole lot deeper.

    If nothing else, by the time we'll be done the house will be ready for market should we decide to go that route.

    ReplyDelete