Monday, July 02, 2018

He's Distracted

I'm sure I've mentioned before that my boss can be a little ... loose with things like dates, and not always so good with remembering things like that. But I will admit I was surprised when, in our editorial chat this morning, he saw something that the other editor and I had been discussing about whether it would be slow all week because of the holiday, and hey, at least it's a day off to look forward to ... and he was surprised, since he'd been planning to go into the office on Wednesday (they're finally going to replace his ancient laptop).

Now, Wednesday is the 4th of July, which is Independence Day in the US, and as this is the 242nd celebration of same, it really isn't something that should catch one by surprise. It's not a new holiday, and the date doesn't change, is what I'm saying. It's like saying, "Oh, is Christmas on December 25th again this year?"

Also, they do give us a list of all the days the office is closed for the year, you know, in January.

On the other hand, send him some sympathy and good-luck vibes if you can spare them: he and his wife are selling their house, and have not yet found one to buy (that has accepted their offer, anyway). In a few weeks they will be homeless until they find something. Sleeping on friends' couches? With a 3-year-old and a puppy? It's a nightmare; I can hardly think about it without getting stressed out. And I'm sure it's distracting him from timekeeping even more than usual.

No comments:

Post a Comment