Sunday, October 04, 2009

The Full Sunday Report

Know what's going on in my kitchen today?


Hint:


Applesauce! So far, it only smells good right over the pot, but it just got started, that will spread. Mmm. And I have enough apples left (Macs and Cortlands) that I'll need to make another pot (perhaps not today, though).

Someday, I'll get around to buying a bigger pot, to make bigger batches of nice, freezable things like applesauce and chili ... but for now, what I've got gets the job done. Yummy.

Actually, though, the applesauce isn't today's biggest accomplishment, and neither is the laundry or the grocery shopping. Today, I cut Miri's claws without calamity. Yes, Kate, I did it!

When the vet came a few weeks ago, that was one of the things I wanted her to do, because I've had such trouble getting it done myself. It took the two of us to catch Miri, but once she was "scruffed" so to speak, she settled down and didn't fight at all. I'm not saying she enjoyed it, but she didn't go all whirling dervish either. In the end, I held the scruff part, and the vet trimmed the claws, and it was pretty quick and painless.

I wasn't sure how doing it myself would work, but it went pretty well. It certainly would have been easier with another person, or a third hand anyway, but I managed to hold her enough to get her resigned rather than fighting, and I got most of her claws trimmed (possibly all, but it was hard to keep track). Even better, though she's slightly more wary of me than usual, she isn't fleeing at my every move, which I was afraid she would. I call it a success story!

Think Pink
I get the local paper, a weekly, via mail. This Thursday, I was considerably taken aback by the sight of it.


The entire paper was pink. Really pink: the photo washed it out slightly. Honoring breast cancer month is a good cause, but the raspberry-fluff color is disconcerting in a newspaper; I'm glad that's not a regular thing.

Judgmental, Much?
I was stopped at a red light when I saw this bumper sticker.


I didn't have time, or the angle, to get it more clearly, but it says, "You can't be Cath0lic & Pr0-Ab0rtion". And I'm neither very political nor religious, but wow, someone sure is sure they know how the world works, aren't they? I can't imagine being that sure of anything.

Weren't Movie Ratings More General, Once Upon a Time?
I noticed these in the Globe the other day. I thought movie ratings were usually for "violence" or "profanity" or other general terms. Have you noticed this?


Shopping Report
Yesterday, after meeting my friend at the orchard to buy our apples, we went outlet shopping (despite the sometimes-torrential rain, yuck). I found such a cute salt shaker:


Perfect for a fan of the Coca-Cola, no? It's quite wee:


I also bought a new pocket calendar, since my old one is done at the end of the year, and I can't carry Google Calendar in my purse--though I do love my Google Calendar! Are you familiar with it? In addition to entering all your own events and reminders, color-coding them as you like, you can also choose public calendars to show, like holidays, or (just for example) the Bruins schedule. Great fun.

Anyway, yes, new calendar, and salt shaker, and I bought some new underwear but thought we'd both be fine without photos of that, yes? The main event, though, was a new purse. I've been getting purse-frustrated lately, both in design and in shoulder-strap-slippage, and it was time to Do Something About It. And man, there are some very ugly (to me) purses out there! Some of them are really expensive, too.

I did not buy this one.

I did not buy this one, either.

I did buy this one!

I didn't really think I'd be going for the quilted look, but it had so much going for it:
  • neither too big nor too small
  • semi-flexible straps that could go over the shoulder if need be, but are the right size for hand or arm carrying
  • good mix of pockets and open space:


Even a little bitty light for seeing in the corners!

It works well so far, and really, how can I not love it for the $12.99 price? Yes: win-win.

So after a fully successful shopping trip, we went to her house and made apple crisp. Then I drove home and lay on the couch to watch the Bruins whomp Carolina, 7-2.

And now I have applesauce, some to freeze and some to eat with ham and potatoes. I have clean laundry and washed dishes. The cats' claws are trimmed, as are my nails. I took out the trash and got groceries. Just need to change the sheets, and it would help if the cats would ever be off the bed!

Have to call this a pretty good weekend. Hope you've enjoyed yours!

3 comments:

  1. My weekend was nowhere near as accomplished as yours (hooray for you!) but satisfying nevertheless.

    Mine included apples as well... making an apple pie with Batman and Robin (aka grandsons Liam and Aidan).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, let's say you can't be a "Good" Catholic and be pro-abortion (or you can't let your priest know). I'll refrain from any further comment on that one.

    Now, since you've mastered Miri would you please be kind enough to tell me how to stop Tux from biting (hard) when I try to cut his? I can hold him fine until he almost breaks my skin and he really hates the muzzle...

    ReplyDelete
  3. A one-person claw trimming job? Tell me how it's done without massive blood carnage!

    That purse is great. Cute and actually functional. I would love to get my mom a purse with a light in it but I haven't seen any like that.

    ReplyDelete