Tuesday, September 05, 2006

What's new?

Gosh, if only I had something, anything, to write about.

Hmm. Where to start. Well, how about the amusing irony that Blogger's spell-check does not recognize "blog" as a word? I think that's pretty funny. (Update: it also questioned "Blogger's" ... the plot thickens. And how many knitters blog, for it not to recognize knitters as a word? Not much of a spell-check, if you ask me.)

Actually, I have a lot more than that to muse upon. Sit back and relax...

Let's get knitting up-to-date first: I have completed a sock! Not only that, I started the second, and it is going merrily along. Sock one is, well, slightly larger than it needed to be. But I think it will still work, though it may either layer or be a sock-about-the-house, which is fine. Sock two is, so far, looking a bit smaller than sock one, which is ... interesting, since I haven't changed yarn, needles, or pattern. Perhaps I've been tense? (See below.) I haven't tried it on as much, so maybe that will stretch it out. For that matter, both are as yet unwashed, so things may change drastically. Still, I'm tickled pink at how well it's going. Champagne! Confetti! Chocolate! I also finished my second shawl, a week or so ago, which was fun. That's the second shawl I started, by the way, not the second to be finished. In case anyone's trying to follow along with my ADD knitting. Here's a slightly blurry photo of it:



It looks even better than that in real life, I think, not that I'm partial or anything. I wore it over the weekend, which was kind of neat somehow.

Segue to the weekend: during my travels this weekend, I continued to spread the word of Knitting, with good results. First, while knitting in Manchester airport Friday evening, I interested a little girl waiting for her grandmother, with the result that grandma was going to get some yarn and needles and show her how. Score one for knitters.

Then, while visiting my friend M, I had requested a visit to a local yarn store I read good things of, Stitch DC, and she was so entranced by the store that she bought yarn, needles, and pattern, and started a scarf the same day, though she hadn't knit since high school or so. (Actually, being a perfectionist, she started the scarf more than once, but practice is good in getting re-started. Keep trying, M!) Score two for knitters!

We had a really good visit. Being near DC, we got to do some of the typical things there, like monuments, and really enjoyed the Botanical Gardens and the National Portrait Gallery. Walked our feeties sore, we did. We also did some book-shopping, which is a favorite occupation, and saw a movie, Invincible, with Mark Wahlberg, which was a nice feel-good story. And, even better, we got to spend time with our friends J and J, and their enchanting daughter J, which was wonderful. There are such good reasons why we live spread out across the country, but it's great to have time to catch up.

And, I got to tell them all about the reason why I'd been on a roller coaster last week. I may have found a condo.

Can I say that again? I may have found a condo. To buy. Buy. Own.

That still sounds funny.

I've been looking seriously for about a month. I've been thinking of buying for over 2 years, since just before my last job announced that they were closing the site and we'd all be out of our jobs, sorrybye. At that point, I decided it might be prudent to wait, and went through the closing down and job searching and interview and here I am at the Sirius Cybernetics Corp, happier than before, and maybe ready now to buy.

Or as ready as I'm ever likely to be. Anyway.

I really like this condo. It's beautiful, charming really, and that's what I really wanted. It is not boring ... well, okay, the outside of the building is boring, but I won't live on the outside, will I? Not much. And I've made an offer, and we went back and forth, and they accepted, and we're in the middle of all the inspection and document review stuff, which is not the Fun Part, I can assure you. But I am trying to be a grown-up, and doing what I have to do, and We'll See. Cross your fingers!

No comments:

Post a Comment